Friday, February 27, 2009

What? Angie Made Bread?

My mom and dad gave us a wheat grinder for Christmas (Lyf was thrilled, I really was thrilled). I finally got it out and ground some wheat. Leslie was nice and brought some wheat to me because my excuse was that I only had wheat in a sealed bucket and I didn't want to open it. I know I need to get more and I will, but thanks Leslie for getting me started and Emily for posting the great recipes. This is a loaf of bread that I made with Emily's recipe. It was pretty easy and very good. Can you believe I ground the wheat and baked the bread myself? I also made the cookies from Emily's post, garbanzo beans and all. I liked them and ate a lot of them because I told myself they were healthy (well, they are more healthy than most cookies). The dough was terrible which saved me a few hundred calories. Bethany, Kate and Bryn liked them, MaryJane kept trying them but wasn't ever sold, and Lindy only had one. After Lyf had one I asked him what he thought. He said, "Well, there is something about them." I busted up, yeah it's called garbanzo beans and wheat flour, I didn't tell him that until later tho. MaryJane asked me later if we could make cookies, but not yucky cookies. My kids are pretty good about eating vegetables the old fashion way, on their plates, so luckily I don't need to sneak them into their cookies. If you do want a good easy recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (full of healthy vegetables :)) look here. I love these and have heard that you can make them with carrot cake mixes and they are good too.



4 comments:

Kristina said...

Looks yummy...I guess I'll have to try makin' wheat bread I have only ever made white...the healthy cookies r good too..I've been lucky also with my kids liking there veggies!

MaMa eNCHaNTeD said...

Way to go!!! See it's not sooo bad. Time for me to get crackin err grindin.

Meridy said...

Wow you have been having all kinds of fun!

I'm on a bread kick too! Once I realized that you can just buy whole wheat flour at the grocery store I've been wanting to try it. I didn't want to invest in the wheat grinder yet, but I want whole wheat bread. It worked out pretty well for me, but it doesn't rise very high....

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

Good job,Angie!
I have been using carrot cake mixes since Marylin suggested them, I like them better. I think I may have to bake some today.