Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Halloween Phantom

Monday night during our lovely pot pie dinner there was a knock at the door. It was the Halloween Phantom! It left a plate of yummy caramel popcorn and brownies with a note that says to be the phantom to five people. I thought "Oh Great, now I have to make something. One more thing to do." (Bad attitude I know!) So I decided to make brownies, which I am usually not too bad at, but I wanted to make them a little more special so I was going to frost them. Bad news, I didn't have any chocolate canned frosting, I tried to make it. I looked at a couple of recipes but I couldn't find a chocolate one so of course I improvised, bad idea for me. Will I ever learn? I added cocoa instead of maple flavor. I added 1 cup more powdered sugar than it called for because it was so runny, but even then it was still runny and lumpy!? This is why I buy frosting! I was afraid to add any more sugar because I have added too much before and it just tastes like sugar. So I just poured it on the pan of brownies. I was mumbling something about how people were going to be sorry the Halloween Phantom came to their house as I was stretching plastic wrap over the plates and the frosting was smearing everywhere. Lyf came over and said, "Those look spooky." I had to laugh, and decided yeah, that is what I am going for, spooky brownies! (They did taste pretty good despite appearances.)
We piled in the car and the girls were excited. It turned out pretty fun. Lyf was a good sport as always and took the girls up some dark driveways while Kate and I sat in the car. Bethany and Bryn were brave and went by themselves to two houses. I changed my attitude about it and decided it was worth the trouble to make the brownies (maybe not the frosting) to hopefully brighten someones day and to get my family out doing something for somebody else.

p.s. Sorry mom that you had to get in on the action, the girls wouldn't take no for an answer they wanted to go to your house. I tried to save you from one more thing to worry about.


Spooky Brownies!




6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the spooky brownies. Yum! When I ate one I didn't know where they came from. Thanks for being so kind to make the copies for me to take treats with.
I can't believe that I did not teach you how to make frosting. It is very easy and if I had known it would cause you future emotional problems I would have made sure you knew how.
It's a pinch of salt that gets rid of the too sweet taste. A tiny bit of hot water is the only liquid if you want glossy icing or a tiny bit of milk for regular. A couple of T's each butter and cocoa added to the powdered sugar and a squirt of vanilla. The best recipe is the Texas Sheet Cake frosting.
Hey, is this comment long enough?
Your hot pies were sooo good too!

Kelly said...

That reminds me that I need to do something like that with my kids.

Meridy said...

Did you cut around the edges and only give out the middle? My mom does that too. It makes me smile.

Kory Wright said...

I love the Halloween Phantom! And I think your brownies looks yummy! Thank your mom also for those great tips on how to make frosting. I am glad I read the previous comments.

Shella said...

Yeah, most people would rather have the middle, but our family goes for the edges every time. Good thinking, Ang. ;) Have I already asked you how to spell that on a previous comment?

Angie said...

I spell it Ang, but I think that Anj is probably how it sounds. Whatever.
Yeah Mom thanks for the frosting tutorial. I am sure that you have told me before but I didn't remember all the details so I needed a recipe. It turned out fine. It was lumpy until the butter melted and then it was fine. Good tip about the salt. I do love Texas sheet cake! I left the edges partly because like Shella said, I like them but, also because they were stuck to the pan.