Friday, August 29, 2008

The Hurricane Hotel

Well, here it is, my version of the Hurricane Hotel. Mary Jane and Thomas Reeve built a $5000 house in Hurricane in 1914, it had six bedrooms and a large parlor/dining room. They started the hotel in 1915 and then Harold and Artie Reeve took over in 1925 when Mary Jane died. Harold was their oldest son and he is my Grandpa Reeve's dad. The hotel was where my Grandma Reeve met my Grandpa. She was staying there while she taught school in Hurricane. I was asked to do a display for Peach Days about the Reeve's so I read the histories that Grandma Reeve put together and the hotel stood out. Sometime the ranching story needs to be told. Thomas had one of the best hay barns in the county and Harold bought all the land that he could, especially "Out South" (the Arizona Strip). But, Grandma Reeve had a lot of information about the hotel and I could see the display in my head, the ranching picture was fuzzy so I went with the hotel. I found a picture of Grandma and her friends that were staying at the hotel standing out front and the sign was behind them so we duplicated it. I am happy with the way it turned out. You know how sometimes things don't work out how you plan? The dresser, chairs, desk and mirror are all original to the hotel and I am pretty sure that Artie made the quilt. It was a good reason for me to brush up on the Reeve history so I am glad for the experience even though I worried a lot about it.
(Now here is my speech)
Thank you Grandma for having the information and pictures so easily accessible. Thank you Lyf, Ryan and Dad for getting the wood and putting it all together. I love the sign post, it is just like the picture! Thank you Ryan for helping me with the pictures and for drawing the sign. He blew up the picture of the old sign and drew it and printed it and I glued it to a piece of tin that Ryan found and cut to size. It is so cool! Thank you Darin for helping me scan the pictures and Leslie and Darin for watching my kids for FIVE hours while we set up. Thank you Chani and Mom for putting it all together. Lyf and Ryan put up the walls and then Chani, Mom, Dad and I wallpapered them. I think that it looks great! Thank you Kay Reeve for letting us borrow the mirror and desk. Thank you Grandpa Reeve for letting us borrow the chairs and the pictures. Thank you Aunt Helen for the dresser and for help with the desk and mirror. Thank you Bethany and Bryn for tending while I worked on things at home and went to the museum. Thanks again for all your help.










6 comments:

Meridy said...

Wow!!! It looks awesome! I'm glad that we get to come and see it in person.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Oh my gosh!! What a masterpiece! You must have spent days and days on this project! It was a huge undertaking on your part, but it looks amazing-GREAT JOB! It's fun to learn a little history, like for starters, I didn't know Mary Jane was a family name. Love it, you can sigh a happy sigh of relief and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. I know many people will enjoy your hard work as they view it during peach days.

Kelly said...

Great job. Well done. Bravo!

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

Angie, You did such a fine job!
Who is that cute couple eating dinner, are they regular boarders?

Shella said...

Angie, it is so awesome! I watched today as people came in and looked in awe. Ü

Cheryl said...

Now after the judging you will need to take another picture with the sweepstakes ribbon hanging on the picket fence.
Angie did such a quality job on this project. Chuck said that it sets a new standard for displays.
We have wonderful heritage and a wonderful generation in you kids. Dad and I are so thankful for all!